Wednesday, November 14, 2012

ABC Wednesday/R

 I have just returned from a wonderful trip to Goa during Diwali, our Festival of Lights. The Goans celebrate Diwali in a unique way, by making an effigy of the Rakshas (demon) Narakasur with paper and straw. They fill it with fire crackers and at the dawn of Diwali, they set fire to the Rakshas, making a lot of sound and fireworks. The custom is based on the mythological story of the evil Rakshas killed by Krishna.
 We visited a bird sanctuary in an island in the river Mandovi, which is the favourite place for visiting Pintail ducks and other birds. The swampy island was full of mangrove trees Rhizophora mucronata.
 We also visited the Reis Magos church built in 1555 by the Fransiscan Friars, over a ruined Hindu temple. The Feast of the Three Wise Men is celebrated here with great pomp in January every year.
Thanking Mrs.Nesbitt and Roger, I link to ABC Wednesday where you can see what R means to others.
I enjoy reading Michelle's Nature Notes at Rambling Woods, and I think you will too.

9 comments:

  1. The fire must be quite a sight! Always good to get rid of evil!! Kate, ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great captures for the day!! Looks as though you had a great trip to celebrate Diwali!! Hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great trip - I would like to see that effigy blow up! (Fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the church is impressive. looking forward to more photos from your Goa trip.:p

    R is for...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Calling by from ABC Wednesday,anm interesting post for R, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary-looking creature!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) Good shot! Happy Diwali to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you enjoy the celebration.

    Reminiscing
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoy learning about different cultures and your Festival of Lights sounds so interesting. And I love the mangrove trees though I have never seen one but hear about them when I watch nature shows on television...I am sorry for being so late this week Padma. Many things to do with my late Mother's estate...Michelle

    ReplyDelete