Sunday, January 16, 2011

Today's Flowers -Benefits of Sheep manure

The shepherd from the eighbouring village sold me two bags of sheep manure recently. He said it was better than cow manure for the plants. He seems to be right, because all the flowers in my garden have a brighter and deeper colour now. That yellow rose is twice as bright in real life.

The red Salvias are a bright fire- engine red now.
Even the Euphorbia blooms are brighter.



Brugmansia is showing its first flowers after its slumber.


Heliconia need no brightening agent to make them stand out. In fact, I did not feed sheep manure to the heliconias at all.
I mixed four cupfuls of well rotted sheep manure to one bucket of compost and fed them to the flowering plants, and watered them freely. All the flowers have a richer colour now, and the plants are healthier.
My thanks to the team of Today's Flowers - Santilli, Denise, Pupo and Sandy Carlson.
You can see flowers from all over the world at http://flowersfromtoday.blogspot.com




15 comments:

  1. Beautiful series of flower photos. I'm fascinated by Brugmansia and yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right! They all look dazzling and gorgeous! I am sure that aside from the manure, they bloom well because you care for them as well!

    Our Heliconia is also low maintenance. The only villain is the dog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is correct Lotusleaf! Shep manure or pen manure is the best, it just a pain in the rear for me to get it so I haven't used it in years. However I will seek some out and try it on my roses. Your blooms are stunning as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i haven't used sheep manure before...never heard of gardeners using it around here. Gorgeous blooms! And such wonderful colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flowers certainly do have incredibly intense and gorgeous colors! Glad that you have sheep manure available to you! Superb captures as always. The yellow rose is awesome!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Golly, I never knew that about sheep droppings being good for the garden. Sheep all around, so I will take a stroll with a bucket and spade :-)
    Your flowers look great on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lotusleaf, the yellow rose just glows, Salvia and Euphorbia are also known in my garden, they are such undemanding plants, but as I can see respond very well to sheep manure. The pink Brugmansia looks marvelous. I usually soak Dynamic lifter and feed the roses and pot plants like geraniums. Generally in the garden I practically never fertilize the plants. Sheep manure is never available despite there are lots of merinos in the country, unfortunately not in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting about the sheep manure. (and thanks for visiting on bloom day!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The heliconia claw will grow brighter by the days! What a wonderful plant isn't it? btw, I am a supporter of sheep manure also :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. i can imagine how beautiful your garden now...

    Thanks for dropping by...have a great week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous blooms! i hope the sheep manure doesn't overpower the scents of these flowers.:p

    http://savorthebite.blogspot.com/2011/01/todays-flowers-24-thistle.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. As flores estão lindas, de cores brilhantes. Com certeza é a resposta ao cuidado especial que você tem por elas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sheep manure have really make wonders in your garden! So many pretty blooms!

    ReplyDelete