Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My World- Summer Thirst Quenchers

Afternoons are very hot and one welcomes a drink of tender coconut water. These tender coconuts are being carted to the city where there is a huge demand for them. The coconut vendor makes a hole at the top of the coconut and hands it to you with a straw. The mildly sweet coconut water refreshes you and prevents sunstroke. Tender coconuts are preferred to refrigerated cola which costs double.
Another thirst quencher is the pinapple. Slices of pineapple are sold by vendors at some points. You can eat it with a pinch of salt . I found the shape of these pineapple unusual. They presumably get this shape when they are over fertilized.
As I write this, my thoughts are with the people of Japan. I pray that they will recover from the terrible calamity soon.
To see more pictures from all over the world, click on http://showyourworld.blogspot.com

13 comments:

  1. I prefer pineapples. And in Japan is a terrible tragedy and the people there is now difficult. But I must survive, and I think that other people will help them. Yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have the same summer thirst-quenchers! Coconuts and pineapples are everywhere. They're cheap, natural, and healthier compared to sodas. The locals eat their pineapples dipped in salt-sugar-chopped fresh chili-mixture.
    My thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese people.

    Inside Cambodia

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should use those to quench our thirst here in the US instead of the junk stuff most people drink! Terrific and interesting captures as always. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan as well! Thank you! Hope you have a wonderful day!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coconut is definately a refesher in hot weather! I like to eat pineapple with soy sause and chillies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely, refreshing post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always coconut drinks when on my winter vacation in the tropics.
    With a little bit of rum:)
    - Cheers Gisela.

    ReplyDelete
  7. belle recolte d'annanas, humm cela me donne envie

    Publicity ;o) Every Friday (and the Weekend), The Challenge "Walk In The Street Photography"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cold coconut water! And especially these tender ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting.
    I wish we had a truck like that come by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that you can get a new plant from the leafy top (plantlet)of the fruit. But some of the pineapples in the picture look wierd, wearing a crown of plantlets! It looks like you can get a gardenful of plants from just one fruit :))
    BTW I'm in B'lore at the moment.

    ReplyDelete