Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cheerful flower

The Yellow Bells, Techoma stans is a flower that brings cheer to the jaded soul. Its golden yellow bell shaped flowers, which bloom throughout the year, and its drought resistance ability has made it a popular flower to be planted in parks and public places.
I found this Techoma on top of a hill, where I had gone hunting for wild flowers. There were sheep grazing on the hill, but they did not touch the plant. Somebody had built a beautiful villa in that desolate place, with no roads, but dirt tracks. The shepherd directed me to a temple on the other side of the hill, where I rested for a while, before going further.

6 comments:

  1. Lotusleaf, your wild flower (not goose!) chase led you *somewhere* :)) As children we used to pop the techoma bud against the forehead and enjoy the sound! More mature the bud, higher the decibel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shailaja, the techoma and the hillside reminded me of my childhood too, when we used to live in hilly places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the shot of the tecoma and the sheep. You do get around, don't you, in your hunt for wild flowers?! I think there are more plantings of this cheerful tree in southern cities than here. I loved the blooms I saw in Chennai and there were several.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi kanak! I do love wild flowers and wild places. Tomorrow I am leaving for a trek in the forests of Dandeli in the Western Ghats. Hope I'll find some rare wild flowers there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see this tree along the roadsides and I used to think that for a wild tree it is quite pretty. But then everything was wild once before it was cultivated by man! Enjoy your trek and please take lots of pics.

    ReplyDelete