Monday, September 7, 2009

Hide and Seek Plants

Since I live in the tropics, there are flowers through the year. But some of the flowers like their winter rest. The Resurrection Plant(top) is one of them. It goes to sleep during winter and hides itself so effectively that you have to mark the pot to know where it is. It miraculously comes back to life in summer.
The beautiful Evening Bells, Chrysothemis pulchella is another plant which plays hide -and- seek. It has already started to pack up, although 'winter' starts here in November.
The Gloxinia(below) is another plant which goes into hiding once the blooming is over. Mine are blooming happily now.






Gloxinia and Chrysothemis belong to the Gesneriaceae family, while the Resurrection Plant is a ginger.




10 comments:

  1. My Evening or Sunset Bells are still going strong. I'll have to keep track of the winding down process. Your Gloxinia is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gloxinia is so pretty and, I see that it is in the ground, too! My Chrysothemis pulchella is just preparing to bloom. BTW I didn't know the peacock ginger and Chrysothemis went by those aliases, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kanak, You can see the Sunset Bells for longer.
    Shailaja, My gloxinias are in containers, which are on the ground! If you click on the picture, you can see the outline of the container.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I have been mixing up Chrysothemis pulchella with the episcia for many years. They are very similar. These plants grow wild in Trinidad in damp areas and I don't remember them going dormant. The resurrection ginger is very pretty. I have some in a bed with some begonias and ginger lilies and it has spread all over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Gloxinia is so pretty! We grow it here too, but as a potted plant for indoors.
    Katarina

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Chrysothemis pulchella is wonderful.
    Shame I can't grow ginger in this climate. :(
    Oh the tropics...so many cool plants that are only annuals here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, thank you for stopping by I am glad you left a comment.
    I grow the pretty resurrection plant, did not know its name, is still sleeping! I do love all the different gingers. I put you on my bloglist hope it is al right with you. I am interested in your blog. Your header is beautiful with the exuberance of the tropical garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Islandgal:Wild Chrysothemis! How wonderful!
    Katarina:I love gloxinias.
    Patsi: I love the English flowers, which are annuals to be grown in winter here!
    Titania: Welcome and thanks for your encouraging comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lotusleaf, I was curious to see your Gloxinia. They are beautiful! I hope I am able to stretch the lifespan of mine like yours. TQ for stopping by earlier. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the gloxinia for they are relatively easy to grow from seed, and you can take them seven months from seed to bloom and to produce flowers.

    ReplyDelete