Thursday, September 3, 2009

Some Wild Flowers

This large yellow flower is not exactly a wild flower, but the flower of a pumpkin vine which was growing wild in a vacant lot.
The blue flowers of the Convolvulus gladden the heart every morning when I go to work. This is the flowering season for them and they are growing in all the vacant sites . The flowers close by 10 a.m. They close as soon as the pollination is complete so that no more energy is wasted . A lesson in economy for us.

The Convolvulus is one of the few blue wild flowers of the tropics.


7 comments:

  1. I have heard that people use the beautiful pumpkin flowers in curries, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They use them in curry and tasty flower fritters can be fried using them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 'Convolvulus gladden' looks just like Morning Glories. Wonder if we can eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patsi, I think the Convolvulus is a wild cousin of the morning glory. I am not sure whether it is edible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Convolvulus is really pretty, I love the color of it. The wild morning glories around here aren't very pretty and grow up and over everything. I sure wish they looked like yours. I'm always amazed at where pumpkin vines will show up, I wonder if you'll find pumpkins on that vine later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When there are pumpkins on the vine, squirrels and mongooses will get them, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found a flower on our golf course today that I do not know what it is (Sarasota, Fl.).
    It is a three petaled with 6 red seed on top of each of its petaals. Have any idea what it could be, anyone!!!

    ReplyDelete