Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Glory Lily

The Gory Lily, Gloriosa superba is a beautiful flower which appears during the rainy season. In my suburb, it is seen as a wild flower sometimes. I found the vine flowering profusely in a vacant plot two years ago, and brought the tubers and planted them in my garden. But it did not come up.The Gloriosa is a twining lily, with the leaves having tendrils. The flower is bi-colour, yellow below and orange-red at the tips, giving it the Sanskrit name Agnishikha, the flame.
These flowers are from the garden of my friend Gowri. The Gloriosa is poisonous, but its tubers are used for the treatment of gout and rheumatism. They are also used for snake bites. It is a case of using a venom to take out a venom.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful lily I didn't know they are poisonous. They have some very interesting colours too. That display showcasing the two colours is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Gloriosa. I wonder if it is the same as Rothschildiana? I always wanted one for my garden but somehow I have never succeeded. Perhaps now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Islandgal: the beauty hides the poison.
    Titania:Yes, another name for Gloriosa is Rothschildiana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you did a real good job with these flowers lotus :D

    I also notice the fern below and it looks like the one I have in my house, it's around 2m H, 2m W, 1m deep (quit big).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Lotusleaf, thanks so much for showing us this plant. Seeds are often offered in catalogs here with photos of the stunning blooms, failing to mention where they want to grow. No wonder we have always had failures with them here in the droughty clay soil of Tennessee. Your friend's flowers are wonderful. Maybe she will share her secrets with you? :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barry, it is not a fern but a young palm that you see below the flowers.
    Frances, I want to take her advice and get those flowers to bloom in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous photos! I've seen them in the jungles but I didn't know they were poisonous. I'd love to plant one too!

    ReplyDelete