Friday, July 31, 2009

Floral Friday in the tropics

My purple blue passion flower vine has climbed my amla tree, and gone on to my neighbour's coconut tree, where it is blooming profusely in the sun. I found this flower on a lower branch.
The tropical lily, crinum, is more than 5 feet high. Its lovely, mild perfume is overcome by the passionflower's cloyingly strong perfume.I don't know the name of this yellow flower in English. In Kannada, we call it punnaga. Poets have written about this flower. It usually puts forth leaves during the monsoon, but the drought this year has fooled it into putting out profuse flowers.

The pink calliandra powder puff is my favourite. It flowers 6 times in a year, in dappled shade!












4 comments:

  1. I just love seeing what flowers you share, many I've never seen or heard of before. The calliandra is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the flowers you share, specially the blue flowers. We have very few blue flowers in this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine: Yes, we have quite different kinds of flowers from yours.I love the flowers you share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! Really nice. Hope you post new photos this year.
    Cher
    Goldenray Yorkies

    ReplyDelete