Saturday, August 7, 2010

Flowers for Today

The purple flowers of Asystasia indica attract bees.
The bromeliad flower has opened , making a splash of red and yellow.

Asters here usually have garish colours , but these asters in a nursery were a pretty pale pink.


This is the season for Achimenes to flower. They come in pretty colours ranging from purple to pale blue. They are natives of Guatemala, and so cannot stand the fury of the monsoon rains. It is best to keep them as container plants.




Plumbago is planted as a hedge plant in public gardens, where it flowers profusely. The delicate sky blue flowers are a welcome sight in this season, when the sky is always grey.
Have a wonderful week!



10 comments:

  1. I used to grow Achimenes in pots on my windowsills - they're such pretty little flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a variety of beautiful flowers in your garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. These blooming flowers are lovely. My plumbago has died back. I really like their shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty set of blooms...really like the Achimenes and your bright bromeliad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Kanak...the bromeliad is beautiful. So is the achimenes. My plumbago has gone dormant. It hates the rainy season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those flowers captured above are really pretty! Such a big plumbago shrub! Mine is very small in pot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear friends, thanks for your comments which I appreciate very much. I could not reply to you earlier as I was away in Rajasthan.

    ReplyDelete